A Hobbit's Home For Me  

Posted by Rick His Hippieness in , , , ,

I think, I found my dream home or a home a lot like it. This house was build by a young man on the other side of the pond. he lives in it with his wife and two small children his web site is "A Low Impacted Woodland Home" It is a bit small for my liking but it is a good starting point to make my plans.
I was thinking about incorporating "cob construction". Cob is a mixture of: clay, rough sand and straw, globs stacked to build a wall. The walls are between 18'' and 24' thick. After the walls are build and dried they're covered wit a lime plaster and painted. The roofing materials can be any thing from sheet metal, thatched or even sod. I have a wonderful book on cob construction call "The Hand-Sculpted House" by Ianto Evens, Michael G. Smith, and Linda Smiley. There are a lot of sites out there on low impacted and natural material construction.

I would love to live in a house, that quite on purpose doesn't have any 90 degree angles. In natural architecture, living in a home that mirrors the natural world. In the woodland right angles happen rarely. In my middle-age I want to live closer to "The Mother ". A small place 3 to 4 acres with well tilt soil, where my family and friends can live. I guess I might be a "Hobbit" at heart.

This entry was posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 at Friday, November 16, 2007 and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment